Friday, May 08, 2009

By the Way

The prelim path report on my gallbladder says that I had numerous stones, the largest of which had a largest diameter of 7mm. I only know how long 7mm is because my needles come in 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm lengths. The stones appear to be normal bile stones- that is, they're green. The gallbladder disease appears to have been chronic but mild- there was an overall decrease in gallbladder size (that is, it was smaller than what is considered the normal range, and chronic gallbladder disease makes gallbladders shrink), and a slight thickening of the gallbladder walls. There was a lot of scar tissue on the outside of the gallbladder, but also "prominant vasculature".

My blood sugar was great for the first few days after surgery, then horrible, then practically back to normal, and then I got a cold. I woke up at 3 AM with a blood sugar of 414, which was 380 upon recheck, making it my second foray above 400 since diagnosis. 6 units of Novolog and I went back to sleep. Didn't even feel thirsty, but I made myself drink a quart of water just 'cause I figured dehydration is a bad thing. Didn't check ketones because I've lost my ketone strips. I know they're around here somewhere. Anyhow, since the 414 I've been under 200. I don't know why. I hate colds. I hate bouncy appetites. I hate sore throats, and I hate waking up in the middle of the night. And I especially hate waking up high in the middle of the night.

Every evening for the last week I've been having dizzy shaky blurry awful spells, and every time I think I'm hypo, and every time I'm not. I have an appointment with the endo for this afternoon to discuss the thyroid. I assume that we are going to draw blood for antibodies and/or send me to the radiology lab for visualization of the thyroid, to decide if this is Graves or Hashitoxicosis or what. Also we'll find out what my weight is doing. 3 weeks ago when I was last weighed, I was three and a half pound away from being underweight by BMI standards. I would not be the tiniest bit surprised if I'm underweight now.

I am having a really hard time finding fat for injections. My forearms, upper arms, and boobs have all stopped having enough fat for me to get a needle into fat anywhere on them. I have given up on them for now. My stomache retains perhaps 3 square surface inches of injectable tissue, although more may open up once I heal a bit more. My thighs are both bruised on more than half of the available area (it is really dramatic looking on my right thigh). My calves are still good for a couple injections per day, but frankly, this is no good! I averaged 6.1 shots per day in April. I can't put them all in my calves! My butt I use for Lantus injections and occasionally testosterone but I consider it good practice not to inject the Lantus and Novolog into the same regions of the body, so the butt is off limits to Novolog.

No comments: