Sunday, May 31, 2009

Glucagon Expiration

My mother keeps a glucagon kit in her bedroom, and it expired at the end of April. I have a glucagon kit in my refridgerator which I thought I'd switch with hers, but it turns out that that one expires at the end of May, which is to say, today. I am not sure if we have any other glucagon kit around somewhere.
So I thought, okay, I'll order a glucagon with the next round of supplies and I ought to be about due for a round of supplies, right? But when I checked I realized that I have a 5 month supply of Lantus, and while it's harder to tell with the rest, I think I have about 3-6 months' worth of the rest of my supplies too. So should I reorder? I'm thinking about it.

We haven't used a glucagon in our 2 years and 9 months with diabetes so far. I am not at all convinced that anybody would be on hand to use one if the situation arose. On the other hand, I do go below 45 fairly frequently and it might make my folks feel safer.
But maybe the expired one will be good enough for the next few months? I don't know.

1 comment:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

"I do go below 45 fairly frequently"

I don't know about you, but readings that low start to mess me up.

Best wishes.