Friday, May 08, 2015

Insurance

I went to an insurance informational meeting today. My employer currently offers 4 insurance plans. As of June 1, they will be offering four different insurance plans.
I think I am going to have to switch to an HMO plan because if I went with the PPO most similar to my current plan (what they'd put me on if I don't fill out any forms), then I would spent over one year:
Premiums: $943
Doctor visits if I saw the endo three times, podiatrist three times (given I have one year of swollen feet), primary care twice: $1020
Insulin, test strips, syringes (if I stay with NPH + R): about $700
Dexcom: about $800
And if I were to go to the emergency room: $400. If hospitalized: $200/day plus 20%

Whereas with HMO:
Premiums: $65 or $350, depending which one
Doctor visits if I saw the number above, plus another primary care because I would need to get referrals: $690 or $300, depending on the plan
Insulin, test strips, syringes (if I stay with NPH + R): probably about $360
Dexcom: free
Hospital including ER visits: free

No comments: