Thursday, May 14, 2015

If I Could Change One Thing Related to Diabetes...

It'd be the focus of the conversations.

I think people need to think a lot more about how things affect real outcomes (complications, death, daily function) than A1c. There're too many diabetes meds that have no evidence of affecting anything in a good way except the A1c.

I think we need to think a lot more about finances- not our personal finances, but the finances of social security et al. And what we can do to make medical care more equitable.

I think we need to think more about medical pollution. And what we sacrifice in the name of disposables.

I think we need to think about how much diabetes does or DOES NOT matter in terms of global health.

I think we need to think more about the things we take for granted about our own diabetes convictions.

If I could change one thing about all of these conversations... it would be to remove the influence of marketing campaigns. Marketing campaigns for the ADA, JDRF, drug companies, pump companies, insurance companies- all of them. What would we talk about, diabetes wise, if nobody had pushed the idea of a diabetes epidemic, the superiority of any diabetes control method over any other, or pretended that they had The Answer to diabetes?

This piece prompted by the:

No comments: