Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Review: After the Diagnosis

Last week I checked out After the Diagnosis: Transcending Chronic Illness by Julian Seifter, a nephrologist who developed T1 D during his internship, and by Betst Seifter, his wife who I guess is more of a writer. The title and the cover made it look like a self help book, and I've read enough of those before, but I decided to try this one on account of the guy having diabetes.
And it was an interesting book. It was full of anecdotes about patients (with kidney diseases, of course) as well as a bit about Julian Seifter's history with type 1 diabetes (he wasn't interested in taking care of himself more than he needed to function day to day and currently has lost the vision in one eye, is losing the vision in another eye, and has macroalbuminuria) and his speculations about what it takes to live happily with chronic illness.
I kind of thought the book contained a lot of denial- even more than the author takes claim to. But I still liked reading it. It was fun and light reading with some food for thought (particularly about why people make the choices they make).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY...A "Jonah Post"!!! I have missed you. I hope all is well at home and that Globe is doing OK.

I haven't heard of this book. Not sure if it is for me or not. I may check it out eventually. Gotta bunch of other books cluttering up my night-stand currently though.

formatie nunti said...

Julian Seifter book is great, i`ve read it 3 weeks ago and i like it so much. From that moment i recommend this book to everyone.