Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tracking Changes (how I think day to day)

I've had some really rough numbers the last couple of weeks. I spent a few hours under 40 during the daytime despite treating the numbers and even signed out of work early for one nasty hypo, and my Dexcom read HIGH for the first time in months (it may have been exaggerating though). My nights were being really erratic.

So I decided to do three things. One, take a laid back approach- don't over react to numbers. Two, switch Lantus injection location. Three, log.

Taking a laid back approach isn't a real change.

Switching Lantus injection location is. When I went on Lantus, the ped endo said it had to be injected in my butt, which idea for some reason made me pretty uncomfortable. But at this point, I've been putting a Lantus injection into my right buttcheek on odd days of the month and into the left buttcheek on even days of the month for 98% of days for about 54 months. Which is a long time. In that time, my butt has kinda disappeared.
I decided to inject the Lantus into my stomach, which is the only other location with a chance of working; my arms get a sort of white lump if I inject more than about two units of Lantus into them at a time (I know this from when I tried splitting the dose), I don't have any place on my legs that I can keep hold of a pinch on while flexing a muscle, and despite my fondness for injecting Novolog into my boobs, I don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm actually injecting into fat there (testosterone took care of that).
I'm giving my butt a break as an injection site for a month. If at that point I want to stick with putting the Lantus into my stomach, I guess I'll start injecting Novolog there, or maybe I'll try wearing a sensor there.

Logging is something I've sort of fallen out of the habit of doing, particularly logging meals, and my current planner doesn't lend itself to it. I'm going to log exhaustively for a week and then give it up again. Hopefully this will lend itself to better ratios. Here's the log:

Saturday evening I injected 10 units glargine.

Overnight I had a hypo that I treated with cookie crumbs (probably about 15 grams of carbohydrate).
At 9 AM my bg was 4.1 mmol (I'm using an mmol meter and a mg/dl Dexcom right now), and I drank an once of apple juice with my lansoprazole.
At 10 AM, sg was 81, I took 6 units aspart and ate 52 grams of flatbread (I estimated that was 25 grams of carbohydrate) with 2 tbsp of hummus (3 grams carbohydrate) and 76 grams of sweet roll which I guessed was 40-50 grams of carbohydrate.
At noon, I was low took three swallows honey.
At 1 PM, I was 71, drank a coconut water box (14 grams of carbohydrate)
At 3 PM, sg was 246, I took one unit aspart
At 5:30 PM, sg was 192 and droppping, took 5 units aspart and ate 23 carbohydrate grams of cake and 92 grams of pizza which I guessed was about 45 grams of carbohydrate.
At 8 PM, sg was 210, ate 202 grams of pizza (estimated this was 100 grams carbohydrate).
At 10 PM, I took 10 units glargine.
At 11 PM, sg was 200, I took one unit Aspart.

At 1 AM, still sg 200, took 1 unit aspart and went to bed.
Overnight, the Dexcom showed a drop to 120 at 5 AM followed by an upwards drift.
Got up at 9 AM to an sg reading 147 and a bg of 7.3 ( = 131.4) had some broccoli with cooking water which I estimated to be about 5 grams carbohydrate. This resulted in a sharp rise.
At 9:40 AM, sg 171 with a 45 degree up arrow, I took 1 unit aspart. Blood sugar peaked around 185 and then dropped.
At 1:40 PM, sg 126 ->, I took 2 units aspart and ate a piece of pizza which I estimated to be 20 grams of carbohydrate. My sensor showed no spike at all but a very gentle rise, and I went high (above 160) at 4 PM.
At 4:35 PM, sg 171 rising, I took 5 units aspart.
At 5:25 PM, sg 161 with an arrow straight down, I ate about 40 grams carbohydrate of cinnamon bread and sweet roll. My blood sugar dropped to about 100, banked, rose to 140, fell gently.
At 8:25 PM, bg 6.8 (122) I took 6 units aspart and ate 3 cups of beans (about 24 grams carbohydrate), 3/4 cups of couscous (about 30 grams carbohydrate), and five frozen strawberries.
At 10:15 PM, I took 11 units of glargine because the trend seemed to have been upwards.

Right now it's half past midnight on Tuesday and my sensor is saying 157-> but showing a slight rise. I'm contemplating taking a unit aspart (Novolog).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bummer on the numbers Jonah. Coconut water? That sounds yummy! I haven't heard of it before. Do you buy it? Or make it? Or what?

I cannot imagine NOT logging. I don't know if that will change as Joe gets older and things decrease in lability a bit...I have only taken off like maybe 2 weeks in 4 years...I kind of like it though. I think it helps me feel in control of "something".

BTW, I have been meaning to tell you that Joe has taken a HUGE liking to chess. I may have mentioned it before. He plays a few times a week. Thought you would appreciate that one.

Have a good day!