Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Support

My father's big contribution to my diabetes care has always been getting me supplies. I'm insured under him, which is huge, but also he's the guy in the family whose responsibility it is to order and reorder the prescriptions that go through the insurance's mail in pharmacy (who aren't always the funnest to work with).

About a month ago, I realized that I was at the point at which I would usually re-order supplies. Not down to my last vial of insulin or anything like that, but down to a bit over a month's worth of one particular item if I used it at twice the normal speed (this is not the same as a two month supply due to the issue of expiration dates). So I mentioned this to my father but somehow I didn't get him the exact information about what needed reordering.

And a few days later he mentioned that we should reorder and a few days later I said we should but we didn't.

Saturday night we finally placed the reorder, after I opened my last vial of Novolog. It was the first time I remember ever getting that close to running out of an insulin, but I wasn't worried. My prescription says I use 20-25 units of Novolog per day. Typically I'm much closer to 20 than 25. The vials contain 300 units and last for me for about 12-15 days. The insulin typically arrives about 4 days after we order it (there was one exception when we ordered around christmastime- memo to all the mail-order noobs- NEVER ORDER PERISHABLE SUPPLIES AT CHRISTMASTIME). Anyways. I wasn't worried.

Then I developed the insulin resistance from a cold. Somehow or another, the vial of 300 units that I opened sometime on Saturday is down to 120 units left. Right- I'm using Novolog at a rate of about 45 units per day and I have 120 units left!
FedEx came today, probably with my insulin, and left a note that they couldn't deliver it 'cause we weren't home.

So I mentioned to my father that with the unusual rate that I'm using insulin, I'm gonna need more insulin soon, or else I'm going to have to go low carb or up the Lantus a lot or something (speaking of which, I upped the Lantus- 15 units didn't cut it last night but maybe tonight it will since I seem to be on the mend).
Since I'm feeling stupid and chastened and guilty over not having ordered the insulin sooner, and cutting it so close (can you imagine not having any short acting insulin?! Aaaaaaaaa (imagine the sound of a person falling off a cliff).

But my father didn't say, "That was stupid, not ordering the insulin."
And my father didn't say, "So why are you eating a sandwich now?"
And my father didn't say, "You'll have to be more responsible."

My father said, "It's a good thing you manage your own diabetes, because I can't imagine doing such a good job managing it."

4 comments:

Heidi =) said...

I love your dad for that comment! You do a great job managing your diabetes and I am glad you have his support.

Unknown said...

I think your dad is a type 3 ROCK STAR for that comment Jonah. I hope that I can be that supportive with Joe when the time comes.

How was the sandwich? :)

Valerie said...

Sounds like you have an awesome Dad! It's nice to get that support and not get any flack for not making the perfect choice every single time.

Bad Decision Maker said...

yay for no diabetes po-po. suggestion (not a criticism - i cut it close a lot of times, this is something i recently had be reminded to do myself). can you have your dr. write a prescription for more insulin than you need when you're insulin resistant? if you're sometimes insulin resistant, or you occasionally have a vial that goes bad or gets broken, that counts as "insulin you use." especially since not being without it is important.