Sensor 10 on my left arm performed well in the first week, excellently in the second week, just as well in the third. The adhesive started getting bad and I think the sensor may even have come out of my arm before going back in at the very end of that week, and then I band-aided it on and started it for a fourth week. It continued to perform very well but it got itchy so I pulled it tonight, not quite at 24 days. I think it was probably high time as the area is swollen.
Then I took a bath and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, and then I had my mother help me put in sensor 11. I chose to put it in the left side of my abdomen. It was the first I put there- I was concerned about some scar tissue I have there, but I was thinking that it really isn't very much scar tissue- neither of the scars on my side there are as large as a thumbprint- so I could easily put the sensor someplace else on the abdomen. Then when I was actually trying to pick the site, and after I'd put the adhesive on but the needle wasn't in, I started to feel panicked about how little fat is there. I mean seriously, there's nothing to pinch there that I can't flex. But we went ahead and inserted the sensor, it didn't hurt really, I told the receiver to start sensor, and in 20 minutes I had a failed sensor. I tried telling it I put in a new sensor and this time it took 35 minutes for the sensor to be declared a failure.
I decided to wait until morning and try it again, and if it fails again, to call Dexcom and demand a replacement. I mean, how is this for irony- it's one of the few sensors I've worn in the recommended position and it's the quickest failure of the lot! But then, maybe it will work later.