Sunday, July 03, 2011

Ordering Insulins

I've been getting most of my diabetes prescriptions through Prime Mail pharmaceutics but I'm starting to rethink that. It's been a big hassle, dealing with them. They have sent me the wrong stuff or called because they couldn't figure out what I wanted or insisted that my doctor rewrite a prescription or called my parents instead of me and also they haven't changed my sex in their system, I don't know why, so every time they call they want to talk to "Ms. Jonah" and I tell them no can do but you can talk to me, "Mr. Jonah" and they get kind of flustered and ask for my date of birth but they must not be making a note of it because I have to listen to the same thing over and over.

Anyways, on Friday they called a few times. First they called my parents' number but I wasn't there. Next they called my number. They wanted to know something about the credit card. It's my father's credit card, so I went over to my parents' and gave my phone to my mother to deal with that.
They called a little later in the morning to say that the Novolin R prescription (that's Regular, FYI) had been written as a one month prescription and therefore they couldn't fill it, so they wanted me to call my doctor and get a new prescription for a larger amount of Novolin R. I tried unsuccessfully to make the point that the one vial of Novolin R was in fact intended for a three month supply, and that you could tell this from how my doctor wrote the prescription (he wrote Novolin R, one vial, three to six units per day, refills: 2). As six units per day for three months is still less than a thousand units, and since the refills are generally meant to written so that the doctor won't have to rewrite the prescription for a year, I thought it was totally obvious that my doctor meant it to be a three month supply, but apparently not.

So then I hit upon the bright idea of taking the prescription to a local pharmacy. The reason I use prime mail is cost. So I asked them how much it would cost. The website had indicated 17 dollars; the woman on the phone said it would be 20 dollars if it was written as a one month supply, or 46 dollars if written as a two months supply. Keeping this in mind, I went to walgreen's. I had walgreens call Prime Mail and get my prescription. Within a couple of hours (I went out and came back) I had my vial of Novolin R. I paid $17.64 and insurance made up the remaining $51.34. Not too bad!

My parents have been getting a bunch of automated calls for me about my Lantus; apparently the opticlick cartridges are being discontinued, so they want me to take Lantus from vials, and they need a different prescription from the endo, but he hasn't gotten back to them yet so they want me to pester him.

Unfortunately my blood sugar was doing funky things already so it might not have been the best day to introduce the regular but I took three units of regular (combined in a syringe with nine units of Novolog) at supper time. I also dropped that night's lantus dose. I woke up in the morning with a nice blood sugar (88 mg/dl) but the night looks to have been bumpy. I took three units of regular again with my supper a few hours ago. I'm not sure what my bg is doing right now- it looks like it's jerking up and down by itself but maybe it's just my sensor dying.

No comments: