Monday, February 12, 2007

Science Fair Projects Related to Diabetes Management

A few months ago I found out that the University I attend has a science fair. It's an informal deal- no judging. No official program. Just a bunch of boards in the pit (informal dining area/study hall in a classroom building), with the names of one or more students and one or more professors. Some of the boards were really basic presentations of math ideas; some were over my head presentations of meteorologic ideas; one really cool board was about staph infections of a particular sort and had been done in conjunction with folks at the hospital I stayed at in September. The guy who presented that board was there and explained it to me- he was studying a less virulent strain of an infection that primarily kills hospital patients.
For next year, I want to do a science fair project. I'd like to test something that hasn't been tested but is fairly simple, and that has the potential to be useful. I got to thinking about what sort of things would be useful for me, diabetes wise.
One worry I often have is that my insulin has been spoiled; too hot, too cold, too old... whatever. I'd really like to be able to squirt a half unit or a unit of insulin onto some cheap thing (like something I could make myself) and see something that would allow me to know if the insulin was fresh or not.
So I've been thinking that perhaps I'd use the leftover Lantus from a way past month (like January's) and a few units of current insulin, over the summer, and try squirting them on things and see what happens. Maybe the preservatives break down, whatever. Before summer, I'd hopefully read up on some of the preservatives and their various reactions to stuff.
Anybody have a better science fair idea? Ideas for how I should get started on this one? Recommended reading related to this one?

Turns out last night I was on my way up... five hours later, no more food,259. Yuck yuck yuck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Diabetes OC, Jonah. I hear you! Yuck, yuck, yuck, this disease. Thank you for introducing me to the JDA, too. Stay in touch...

Jonah said...

I didn't mean yuck yuck yuck this disease, I meant yuck yuck yuck 259.

Kerri. said...

Hey Jonah.

I've been checking out your blog here - definitely identifying with a lot on here. I think I may have come across your xanga blog but I can't find the link I had. I think I saw a bit about Lisa Roney's book (which I loved) and that drew me in.

I'm glad you're blogging here. I'd like to check back in a see what's new with you. And definitely a yuck x 3 on the 259 mg/dl. I feel like complete garbage when I'm high.

-- Kerri.

cc said...

science projects sound like great fun! i can't think of any ideas though...

obviously of no help to your current dilemna, but it reminds me of my one and only science fair, back in the 3rd grade. I entered and won 2nd place, but all I did was make a "sugar free" drink by mixing together who knows what and then served it to people that stopped by my booth. not really "scientific" is it?...

good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

Anonymous said...

Good day!

I just wanted to say hi

Muchas Gracias!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the stupid question. What is the best search engine http://google.com or http://yahoo.com?