Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Naked Pancreas Meme

1. What kind on insulin management mode do you use?
Shots, shots, lots and lots of shots. Syringes and NovoPen Jr.

2. How often do you inject/change pump sites? One Lantus shot per day, 2-10 Novolog shots per day. I guess I average about 6 shots per day.

3. What type (s) of insulin do you use? Novolog and Lantus. I was really tempted by Exubera but insurance wouldn't cover it and now it's off the market.

4. What are your basal settings ?
One shot of Lantus. I took 8 1/2 units a couple hours ago. I get about 25 free carbs out of it most afternoons.

5. What are your correction factors ?

Right now I'm using a 1:40 most of the time, but it should be more like 1:35 in the mornings, 1:60 in the evenings.

6. What are your meal ratios ?
I was just thinking about that. 1:7 for breakfast. 15 free carbs, then 1:8 for lunch. 1:8 for supper.

7. What do you do for activity and/or PE?
I play it by ear. Mostly I try to make sure my blood sugar is above 120 and/or rising if I'm not going to be able to deal with it for a while or if I'm about to do some exercise. But sometimes I just go and eat and hope.

8. How do you manage Pizza, Macaroni and Cheese, or any other "difficult to manage" foods?
I'm a vegan (since 6th grade) so those particular foods are not an issue. I try to avoid foods that take a long time to digest when it's near bedtime because otherwise I spend the night high. I have some difficulty with fat due to pancreatitis. But if I can, I try to eat high fat foods when high. If I'm not high, I prebolus about half and then wait at least an hour, 'til I see a new rise, to inject again, based on the slope. I may do a third or fourth shot if the slope is not to my satisfaction.
I try eating foods that make me spike when I've got other things tying up my digestion and know that there won't be any spike for a long time.

9. How do you prefer to manage your logs/data?
I always record Lantus dosage, 'cause I play with it a lot. I upload Dexcom data and enter into it what's what. Every now and then (maybe twice a month) I'll count my carbs very precisely for a few meals in a row (maybe two days' worth) and see how my ratios are looking. I also write about one sentence per day about if anything weird was happening.
I used to log a lot more but I just don't feel like it anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought you were a "pumper" Jonah! LOL. I guess I assume, wrongly, that Dexcom users pump. The ratios and corrections are fascinating to me...just to see where everyone is. I bet with some of the real little kids we will see correction factors of like 1:350 (Joe used to have a correction factor that small a few years ago).

AND, I was always curious about how MDI PWDs handled high fat foods...the multiple injecting is what I figured people did, but wasn't sure as Joe was only on shots for 3 months.

Thank You Jonah.

Unknown said...

This has been such amazing insight for me! Thanks so much for sharing!