1. What kind on insulin management mode do you use?
Shots, shots, lots and lots of shots. Syringes and NovoPen Jr.
2. How often do you inject/change pump sites? One Lantus shot per day, 2-10 Novolog shots per day. I guess I average about 6 shots per day.
3. What type (s) of insulin do you use? Novolog and Lantus. I was really tempted by Exubera but insurance wouldn't cover it and now it's off the market.
4. What are your basal settings ?
One shot of Lantus. I took 8 1/2 units a couple hours ago. I get about 25 free carbs out of it most afternoons.
5. What are your correction factors ?
Right now I'm using a 1:40 most of the time, but it should be more like 1:35 in the mornings, 1:60 in the evenings.
6. What are your meal ratios ?
I was just thinking about that. 1:7 for breakfast. 15 free carbs, then 1:8 for lunch. 1:8 for supper.
7. What do you do for activity and/or PE?
I play it by ear. Mostly I try to make sure my blood sugar is above 120 and/or rising if I'm not going to be able to deal with it for a while or if I'm about to do some exercise. But sometimes I just go and eat and hope.
8. How do you manage Pizza, Macaroni and Cheese, or any other "difficult to manage" foods?
I'm a vegan (since 6th grade) so those particular foods are not an issue. I try to avoid foods that take a long time to digest when it's near bedtime because otherwise I spend the night high. I have some difficulty with fat due to pancreatitis. But if I can, I try to eat high fat foods when high. If I'm not high, I prebolus about half and then wait at least an hour, 'til I see a new rise, to inject again, based on the slope. I may do a third or fourth shot if the slope is not to my satisfaction.
I try eating foods that make me spike when I've got other things tying up my digestion and know that there won't be any spike for a long time.
9. How do you prefer to manage your logs/data?
I always record Lantus dosage, 'cause I play with it a lot. I upload Dexcom data and enter into it what's what. Every now and then (maybe twice a month) I'll count my carbs very precisely for a few meals in a row (maybe two days' worth) and see how my ratios are looking. I also write about one sentence per day about if anything weird was happening.
I used to log a lot more but I just don't feel like it anymore.