Monday, October 27, 2008

Lab Results

My blood test results were all normal except the A1c. The doctor says that they've switched labs and they now have one in which the normal range is very slightly higher than the lab that they previously used. My A1c came in at 6.6% by this new lab, which probably translates to like 6.4% in the old lab or something.

One thing I didn't mention about Friday's visit was that I gave a urine sample. When the doctor gave me the cup to pee in, I felt reluctant, and after I had peed in it, I had an urge to take it and run. Like I was gonna get bad results. I told myself that maybe I was remembering how two years earlier, I got diagnosed with diabetes through a urine test. Or how two years before that, I got diagnosed with a urinary tract infaction with a urine test. But I dunno, I never felt so reluctant before.

The microalbumin levels in my urine came in elevated. The doctor says it's just a slight elevation, probably nothing and certainly not urgent, and we'll recheck when I'm next in, in two to four months. I started crying anyhow.

3 comments:

Scott S said...

Microalbumin are trace elements of protein found in the urine, but that does not mean kidney problems are around the corner. Think of it like a pre-warning alarm designed to prevent something while it is still very easy to treat. If you aren't already using one, the most proven intervention is an ACE inhibitor. There are a number of these drugs available, and they all work in a similar manner, and all have been proven to preserve kidney function, particularly in people with microalbumin. One thing to consider is which ACE inhibitor, as there are many, and some can be costly even though they don't work differently (its like comparing Humalog, Novolog and Apidra; each are insulin analogues, and they all do basically the same thing, with minor variations). lisinopril is a generic form of the brand-name drugs Zestril and Prinivil, and only needs to be taken once per day (others may require several pills each day). Remember, you'll be taking an ACE inhibitor long-term, and your insurance plan is likely to change several times and so too will your preferred drug formulary. Generics are the same on everyone's formulary!

Lili said...

They don't worry so much about one result because the one-off urine tests aren't all that accurate. If they were really worried, they would have you do a 24-hour urine collection.

Lora said...

I had elevated microalbumin and high blood pressure. For me it was, "does she have high blood pressure because of the microalbumin, or microalbumin because of the high blood pressure?" My doctor put me on Avapro, a blood-pressure medication that's also supposed to work on the microalbumin. I've been on it for about two years and it appears to be working.