Sunday, November 02, 2008

Changing The Lantus Time

I started taking Lantus during mid September of 2006 (I was on NPH for a short while following diagnosis). I was told that I needed one consistant time, so I chose morning, when I figured I was most likely to have a time that I'd be both awake and at home. Over the 25 and a half months since then, I have taken Lantus every morning, with maybe three exceptions when I forgot. I have also taken Lantus, especially expired Lantus which works more like NPH, in the afternoon or evening a number of times to deal with Lantus that just didn't cover me overnight. Sometimes it seems like Lantus runs out; other times I chalk it up to the fact that I have much higher basal needs at night.
In the last couple months, I've become increasingly frustrated with the rise in blood sugar that I'd see overnight. So on October 31 and November 1, I split the Lantus dose, and this morning, November 2, I did not take my Lantus in the morning. My blood sugar was fairly stable all day (though there was a higher than usual after breakfast peak), and just now, at 9 PM, I took 15 units of unexpired, normal Lantus. I hope it keeps me steady overnight.

No comments: