Monday, January 21, 2008

It was Symogii

So yesterday I tried 30 units of Lantus (it's a high dose, and the most I can measure in my syringes). Throughout the day, my blood sugar was highish, but the evening brought hypo after hypo. After treating a hypo at one AM, I fell asleep.
Woke up at 5:30 feeling really really thirsty and kinda dehydrated in other ways. Thought, dammit, the Lantus must really be expiring. Decided that I'd check my urine sugar, and that if that was positive, then I'd check my blood sugar.
The strip turned purple almost the instant the urine hit it. Stifling the urge to swear (my roommate, after all, was sleeping), I got myself a drink of water, headed back to my room, turned the light on and tested. Guess what my reading was?
51.
I guess I'm really lucky that the strip turned color! I ate a twizzler. Lay down and listened to the garbage truck and then my roommie's alarm going off and then fell asleep. Woke up at 11 with a blood sugar of 101.

By the way, I realize that nighttime lows are sometimes a problem, and often if I suspect Symogii I try lowering my Lantus dose to see what happens. But when Lantus expires, it usually has a shorter duration of action, and I guess I had been really suspicious because of what happened with the shipping.

No comments: