Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I-PORT, take 7

August 31: My mother put the Port into my thigh on Friday afternoon. It hurt a lot. I took Novolog through the port, which stung very slightly, as I noshed all afternoon.
I felt flushed as I read to my brother Friday afternoon, so I checked my blood sugar: 78. I got into a physical fight with another brother, and then I went back to reading a book. I felt hypo, but I didn't feel like checking my blood sugar. When I did, the meter read 41. OK. Not good. I went and ate a small something, don't remember what. I was really annoyed that my family wasn't stopping and paying attention, and my verbal skills went out the window. My folks wanted to start the Sabbath meal, but I was feeling bad. I told them that I was gonna go to sleep on the couch in the living room.
I went to the couch, lay down. My mother came in to check on me, asked me to check my blood sugar. I said no. She asked me to move to better lighting so's she could check my blood sugar. I said no. She asked me to eat something. I told her I was sad, and started crying. She tried to convince me to eat or test, and I kept telling her: I'm sad, I'm sad, food is ick, I'm sad, I'm sad, I don't want to live. My mother got light, and tested my blood sugar at 40. She brought me a cup of chocolate soy milk which she sad was 14 grams of carb, and asked me to drink. I winced and gulped, lay down, exhausted. About two hours later, I was up to 89. I ate a small snack, took a conservative amount of Novolog through the port, and went to sleep.

September 1, Diagnosis anniversary: In the morning, my blood sugar was 158. I kinda pull at the port as I pull my pants on in the morning. All day, my blood sugars ran high despite a lot of Novolog through the port: 230, 186, 218, 199.

In the wee hours of September 2, my blood sugar was 104. I woke up with a 118. Skipped breakfast and was at 92 by lunchtime. Following lunch, my blood sugar was 199. I started supper with a blood sugar of 79. I injected through the port for supper. By this time, the injections were entirely painless- I was wowwed. Following supper, I was ready to go to sleep but got a reading of 330! Washing and rechecking gave me a reading of 291. I corrected through the port with four units of Novolog, set my alarm clock, and went to sleep. I slept through the alarm.

On September 3, I was surprised to wake up with a beautiful 138. Following a Ported Novolog breakfast, I hit 225. Correction through the port had me at 184 two hours later; doing nothing had me down to 110 and then 61 four and seven hours later. Before supper, I was at 153, and afterwards I hit 338. Correcting with five units through the port had me at 304 two hours later. I took the port off. I had been wearing it for just over three hours, and had the least irritation so far, but I seemed to have been getting poor absorption towards the end. There was a hard bump right by the site that I suspected of being unabsorbed insulin. I corrected, not into the port, and set my alarm.

Three hours later, I was hypo.

Today, I did not go high after breakfast, lunch or supper. I think I was getting poor absorption from the site starting at least on Sunday and maybe on saturday. On the other hand, no site irritation! Yay!


Casdok said...

Wow! All sounds very exausting!!

MrsMelvin said...

Yeah, it sounds like it's not deep enough in that location. My husband was using a shorter needle for a few days and he was running high the whole time. As soon as he got the longer syringes again, it was fine. Maybe find a better place, huh? Better than having to skip meals AND run high. Good Luck, keep writing about it.