Tuesday, June 02, 2015

BPA

Bisphenol A is a compound found in plastics. More than 40 years ago, it was reported to cause metabolic syndrome in rats, and some countries have banned its sale in utensils; in the United States we continue to drink out of bottles made with BPA.
This meta-analysis of human studies provisionally published yesterday looks to me like it confirms the link between BPA and type 2 diabetes. The authors of the meta-analysis claim that the evidence supports but does not definitively show that BPA is harmful. Well... all I'll say is, I'm convinced I don't want to drink out of BPA containing vessels nor have children drink out of them.
The authors of the study brought me up short though, when they said that the plastics alternatives often used when BPA is banned appear to have similar metabolic effects.... uh oh
http://www.ehjournal.net/content/pdf/s12940-015-0036-5.pdf

No comments: