Monday, November 26, 2012

A Senator With Diabetes

Norman Atkins (appropriate name), cofounder of Diabetes Canada, was also a member of the Canadian Senate. He was a type 2 diabetic, and that's what he died of; his son was (at least according to Canadian Senate speeches) the first Canadian type 1 diabetic fire fighter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While looking for a fact for today, I found out that the US Senate has a candy desk - one senator keeps a desk full of candy to be eaten by all senators. Somebody claimed that this tradition was started by a diabetic, which is how my google search turned it up. But I don't think it was- it was started by George Murphy and I can find no link from George Murphy to diabetes, and I doubt Murphy was diabetic during his run as senator.

No comments: