Sunday, March 07, 2010

Tough News

I got my bloodwork results back on Tuesday, and I've been in shock since then.
My A1c was 7.0%, which was higher than I was hoping for but not a huge big deal.
My vitamin D levels were very low, and I have started on a repletion dose of 8000 IU per day, dissolved in olive oil.
My hemoglobin and hematocrit were moderately and mildly elevated, and I'm hoping that that was caused by dehydration.

But the kick in the stomach was that my liver enzymes, the ALT and the AST, came back dramatically elevated. I went in for more bloodwork on Friday and should have results on Monday. I will also be going in for an abdominal ultrasound this week. If the liver enzymes are high again, and the extra bloodwork and the ultrasound do not reveal an obvious cause, then I'll be seeing a gastroenterologist or hepatologist.
I am taking a low dose of testosterone, and my endo had hoped that this could be the cause, but he doesn't think it's likely; neither does the doctor who prescribes my T. Friday's bloodwork included a check of testosterone levels.

I believe that at this point the most likely diagnosis is autoimmune hepatitis, and I am scared.

I intend to post February diabetes stats soon, but right now they seem sort of moot point.

1 comment:

Molly said...

So sorry to hear the bad news about your lab work.
Stay focused on the present. No sense worrying about what they might find.
Hang in there.