Friday, March 19, 2010

Pancreatitis and Type 1 Diabetes

This post was edited significantly after I discussed the facts with my doctor.

On Wednesday I was discharged from the hospital. The diagnoses I accrued while there were: choledocholithiases, cholangitis, and the biggee, gallstone pancreatitis. The spell checker thinks all of those are misspellings. Sorry, spell checker.
I had asked to be tested for pancreatitis three times in the past year, and had been. In fact, only ten days before my hospital admission, my lipase was 11; at admission it was 4040.

An ultrasound showed three stones in my pancreas, and an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography was performed, removing, according to my discharge papers "2 large stones and several stone fragments".

In type 1 diabetes, the production of amylase and lipase is often mildly to moderately abnormal and may not be an accurate marker of pancreatitis. BEWARE.

Anyways, I am on the mend. I am dealing with much lower insulin needs, probably 'cause I'm not in so much pain and am eating less. Last night I took only 7 units of Lantus, but woke up with a blood sugar of 39 this morning. I think tonight I will take 5.5 units of Lantus instead.

No comments: