Thursday, June 18, 2009

My iodine uptake is low. My thyroid antibodies have been retested and are negative still. My TSH is low. My T3 and T4 are normal. My thyroid is painful and tender. So. My endocrinologist has suggested that I may have subacute thyroiditis, although he says that that is not the only possibility. This will cure itself sooner or later, and in the meantime I just have to hold on and wait for the ride to end. My endo would like me to come in once per month for monitoring. That way, if I plunge from hyperthyroid to hypothyroid (a definite possibility) we can treat that as fast as possible, and if I go more severely hyperthyroid, we'll know and respond to that. Also, he mentioned that beta blockers may be an option if my cardiac symptoms become more pronounced.
All in all, I think this is confusing but mostly pretty good news.

Yesterday I had the unusual occurrance that I saw THREE other T1s. One person on the bus I saw with a minimed 722 pump; I went and sat next to her. She's had diabetes for 52 years. I was impressed. Then I met up with Carrie, who I know because of this blog, so that wasn't a random coincidence. And then towards the end of my day I was about to eat supper and I had taken out my Novopen Jr, and somebody said to me, "Hey, is that an insulin pen?" and I said Yeah, how'd you know? And she pulled out her humalog pen. A most unusual day.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Hang in there Jonah. I'm familiar with both hypo and hyper. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had to wait until I went completely in one direction before they deemed me "bad enough" to drink a radiation cocktail to kill my thyroid. Then I had to go completely in the opposite direction before they could start me on they Synthroid, to make sure my thyroid really was dead. It sucks, but it's good when it evens out finally.

I never see anyone else with a pen or pump. I must not be looking...