Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I-PORT, take 4

This I-PORT came by far the closest to what I had hoped for when I ordered the things.
I did a pinch and my mother inserted the port onto my left thigh midmorning on Friday. It went in without much pain. My thighs have been really bruised lately because I've felt hesitant about injecting elsewhere, and so we had difficulty finding a spot that was not bruised. We ended up inserting it sandwiched between three small bruises.
Unlike the rest, this time the adhesive didn't stick that well- about half of the adhesive part flapped up and wouldn't stick.
Unlike the rest, this time there was minimal site irritation. I was able to wear the port for the full 72 hours, at which time it was just begginning to hurt. Shots really wear painless because I wasn't pressing down on a really sore spot the way that I was with the others.
It was a little annoying to be putting shots into my thigh and needing to pull my pants down, but that was ok.
When I pulled the port off on Monday after breakfast (and three painless breakfast shots), unlike the other three times, there was no large red and inflamed area; just the spot where the cannula came out was bloody. The port itself was sweaty.

I'm not sure what made this one different. If only they were all like this one! This is the first time that I've removed the port and then wished I was still wearing one.

No comments: