Friday, September 11, 2015

Labs

I saw the doctor on Wednesday. My endocrinologist is out of the HMO network. I told her that in that case, for now I'm not going to see an endocrinologist.

I asked for an A1c and a vitamin B12 level.
The A1c is 6.8%; for me that's neither great nor terrible, a little higher than I've averaged over the years but well within my range.
The vitamin B12 level, unexpectedly, was 1115 pg/mL. The normal range for that lab goes from 211 to 911. The last time I had it measured was about five years ago, at which time it was about 400. I am a vegan- have been since January 2000- and don't take any B12 supplements, so how the heck my level came back that high, I have no idea. Vitamin B12 is found in some plant sources but is thought to be difficult to digest from those sources. I do drink soymilk and eat cereals with B12 added, but that shouldn't make that big of an impact, aside from which I haven't had any soymilk in about a month due to the cost.

The doctor feels that both of my results are great and nothing to worry about.
Personally, I wonder if it's related to my polycythemia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait , if you have polycythemia wouldn't that skew your a1c ?

Jonah said...

Maybe. I've had polycythemia for about seven years (I think?) and I know it's something I worried about at one time- you can probably find something about that in my archives- but I haven't thought about it in a while.