Monday, June 25, 2012

Traveling With Diabetes

On Sunday, I'm going on vacation and won't be back until the following Sunday. I'll be taking a Greyhound bus from Chicago to Pittsburgh, then transfer to an Amtrak train to a rural area of Pennsylvania, where I'll spent Monday-Friday at a retreat for autistic folk. I'm still trying to figure out arrangements for the sabbath- if I have any readers in Pennsylvania or thereabouts who might want to host me, let me know.

I'm kind of stressing out about hypoglycemia. I have had some of my most predictably unpredictable lows while traveling.  I don't know if it's the excitement, disturbance to my sleep schedule, different foods, or what. The swimming doesn't help.

I read recently a post in which somebody said that when she was a kid at D camp, she and other kids spat on some of the urine glucose test strips and found that spit also made it change colors depending on blood sugar level. I have been testing this out and am sorry to report that so far, all three of my ketodiastix strips (at blood sugars of 260, 200, and 190) did not change colors for glucose or ketones. I am certain that my pee would have shown sugar when my blood sugar was 260, and it probably would have for the other two.

No comments: