Monday, September 26, 2011

Hyperglycemia Sensitivity

I woke up around 2 am, felt fine, went back to sleep without checking bg (BIG OOPS). I woke up again at 4:15 am. My mouth was very dry and my stomach hurt bad. My blood sugar was 275 mg/dl. I decided to take slightly more insulin than I thought I'd need for a correction, on the theory that it'd still take hours to come down, this would speed it up, and then I could have soymilk (I was thirsty- soymilk was on my mind). I drank three cups of water, throwing up a bit after the second cup. I then tried going back to sleep, but the pain in my stomach made it difficult. I was still awake at 5 AM. At this point, my bg was down to 196, and I was feeling much better. I fell asleep. By the time I woke up, my blood sugar was below 40 (tested after I treated, the meter read 36 mg/dl).

One thing I've been noticing is that I'm having more episodes of stomach pain while my blood sugar is high, and they seem to go away as I come down into range. This is particularly true when I wake up high. I think the highs are causing the pain and not the other way around.

This was making me think about something that anybody who spends much time reading the writings of adult type 1s online will notice; that while most type 1s have minimal symptoms while high - often nothing at all but even when there are symptoms, nothing more than thirst, dehydration, dry mouth, maybe blurry vision- others feel really bad- whether it's just plain exhaustion or vomiting. I'm talking about blood sugars in the 140 to 340 range. I often wonder what makes the difference between the groups. In my case, I suspect that the pancreatitis gets aggravated by highs, since I didn't used to have this issue. In some cases, where the person says they feel bad when they're outside a range that's tighter than most nondiabetics have, I figure the person is attributing to blood sugar something that's not really blood sugar related. Some of it, I suspect, may be an unconscious triggering of nausea from past association. But I really don't know and it seems important. I don't know if there's a name for it.

No comments: