Sunday, March 08, 2009

Waiting for the Shipment

I am waiting for the new supplies. Anxiously. It was time to use a new thing of Lantus last week but I was hoping to start on the new penfills (I'm not switching to a pen, it's just that I hate wasting the stuff), so I waited. But I changed Lantus vials today. It was really time for that.
I'm no longer upset about the 6.9 A1c because I've figured out that the higher hemoglobin level probably caused the rise. It's okay. If it was just a tad higher, insurance might care because I'd be "uncontrolled" but for insurance purposes, the difference between the 6.4 I expected and the 6.9 I got doesn't exist. And I know perfectly well what my blood sugar average is without an A1c to tell me. I am somewhat concerned about the high hemoglobin level now that I've read more about it, but I'll be sure to talk about it at my next appointment in another two and a half weeks. Maybe I'll have a fructosamine drawn while I'm at it.

When my supplies come (from Prime Mail Pharmaceuticals, btw), I'm sure I'll take pictures and post them. In the meantime, here are some of my thoughts.

Tip: Always get your endo to write prescriptions for more than you need. Your needs may increase between now and when you next get scrips, it might take the pharmacy too long to fill your order- whatever. More is better. This is particularly true for the insured.

Tip: For drugs other than narcotics and anabolic steroids and stuff like that, prescriptions are generally good for twelve months. The doctor can check a little box that says you get to refill and he can either write in a number of refills or check unlimitted refills (I get unlimitted refills on glucagon and limitted on the rest of my stuff).

It's possible that it's your insurance's fault if you have to resend prescriptions every 6 months.

Tip: Prescriptions will be kept on record by most mail in pharmacies and walgreens, so you'll only need them once, but you can get your doctor to write two versions if you think you'll switch pharmacies.

Tip: Get the NDC or a very exact description on the prescription itself if you use a mail in pharmacy; otherwise you may get something that wasn't exactly what you want. For example, a couple of years ago I got a prescription for pen needles. I wanted BD 5mm pen needles, which are preferred by my insurance; the mail in company sent me 6mm novofine needles, which are not preferred by my insurance and are longer besides.
Also, have the doctor check that no substitutions are allowed!

Tip: If you use a mail in pharmacy, avoid ordering in December. The mail is way too slow.

Tip: Complain to the pharmacies if you need to. They replace stuff.

Tip: If you use a mail in pharmacy and they send you insulin, you'll never need to buy an ice pack again. Save the ice thingies.

Tip: The labels that are on your boxes of prescription items have details that the pharmacy will want next time, and they also count as prescriptions for police and airline security purposes. Don't lose those labels! If the pharmacy prints your name wrong on them, get them to give you new labels. Walgreens gives me labels than say "John" instead of "Jonah" most of the time, then put on a new label with my actual name after I complain.

No comments: